Black Blank Screen in openSUSE on an AMD PC with an ATI Graphics card
I had hit this problem installing openSUSE 10.3 on eMachines, and spent few
hours fighting. The solution is straighforward, so I decided to make this
- The problem started with openSUSE folks religiously refusing to bundle
the proper "unclean" ATI drivers. The open-source drivers provided instead
simply do not work with some of the cards. Why isn't an easy way to
download the the blasphemous drivers provided? - Beats me.
- ATI unsurprisingly does have the drivers, and even graciously
provided a repository for relatively simple installation.
- To install the drivers, follow the steps 1-4 in the section "openSUSE
10.3, 10.2, 10.1" in
http://en.opensuse.org/Howto/ATI_Driver . Other advice in this section
can be also helpful, but I did not try it.
- When installing the files per step 2, the tool will most likely report
some dependencies it cannot satisfy. Ignore it and just select an option to
violate the dependency this one time.
- After starting the sax2 per step 3, video should work. However,
after the reconfiguration and exiting, the screen can be black and blank
again. Do not fight it; instead, just assume that you are
at the command prompt and type the reboot command. After reboot,
you should have the video working OK.